Monday, September 14, 2009

Christmas Letter In July (Dateline July 2004)

In an effort to really stay on top of things this year, I thought I’d send out our Christmas letter a little early. So close your eyes, sit in front of the air conditioner, and enjoy!

The kids are doing so well! Our eldest son, now 7, and will be starting Harvard Law School in the fall. He expects to graduate with a law degree by June and will launch his own law practice close to home! (Isn’t that just wonderful!) Our eldest daughter, who turned 6 a few months back, is getting ready to graduate Suma Cum Laude from Harvard Medical School in November! Having the two kids together in the same school has been such a relief! They can have snack time together and ensure they get to bed by 8 p.m. (You know how strict I am about bed times!)

Our newest son, home just a few months from Taiwan, is now a house builder! We loaned him out to a local housing contractor and he has quickly become an expert in house deomolition (the dear, dear boy!)! In just a few weeks he has totally demolished six (6!) older homes! The two youngest are doing well too. At the tender age of 5, they are now fashion designers and consultants for Wal-Mart! Can you believe it! No more clothes bills for me! The get all their clothes for fee!!

Ah, life is so good. Dave got such a large pay raise that I’m now a lady of leisure. I spend my time eating imported chocolates and reading Mickey Spillane books. Having a chef and a housekeeper is just so wonderful! Everyone should have one! And the gardener has made the yard just blossom!! Did I tell you our yard will be on the cover of ‘Better Homes and Gardens’ March issue!

For Christmas the whole family will gather together for a huge meal, prepared by Pierre, our chef. We expect the neighbors will come to stare, so we have prepared a concrete pad outside the front window with drool buckets for those that need them. No presents will be exchanged, as we have put aside all our money that we would normally spend on presents and will give it to the nearest Salvation Army bucket this Christmas Eve (I’m sure the extra $40 will go a long way to alleviate some of the need of our not-so-better-off neighbors…)

Ah, life is wonderful in Buckley these days….stop by and gaze in wonder if you are in the neighborhood. And if you decide to stop by, remember to call ahead. The butler has been instructed not to let just anyone in.

Ok, ok, I lied. The chef and housekeeper are figments of my imagination, and the only hot meal the kids get is from Mcdonald’s. The laundry is piled so high I can’t find the door and the kids have taken to wearing their clothes three days in a row because if they take them off they never get them back. The youngest two just turned five, and I managed to keep all the promises I made (trying to get them to bed). The trip to the water park is planned for a day it’s not 50 degrees outside (I mean it’s still only JULY, it should warm up to 75 deg by Labor Day).

The yard is mowed with an eye to a “natural” look (i.e. the grass is so high in places we would need a tractor to take it all down). So far we’ve managed to keep the local snake population down to a manageable level (i.e. we haven't seen any by the swing set recently). I haven’t done any Christmas shopping – it’s not even December 24th yet for crying out loud! The kids didn’t get kicked out of school this past school year (thank the Lord) although Tanner came close to getting kicked out of pre-school for wacking other kids. I managed to enroll all the kids in the local school public schools (and not one of them is slated for reform school yet!). Their immunizations are up to date (the doctor’s office just loves me), the dentist knows we are coming and hasn't moved yet, and the church still lets us in - so I guess we are doing OK.. Right now I’m typing with my toes because I have a five year old under each arm trying to hit each other, a six and seven year old in each hand slinging spit balls, and a baby cat between my teeth to keep her safe.

But the coffee is always on, there's beer if you want it, and on really bad days I have been kown to drink a glass of wine at Mach 5 speed (before five sets of dirty fingers sneak into my glass for a "taste".

Life is hectic, loud, and dirty. Enjoy it! They grow up so fast...

Love from Buckley

No comments:

Post a Comment